UNIQUE: 100% wild, 100% Iberico
At Juan Pedro Domecq, we breed
- Unique animals: The pigs are not only 100% pure Iberico (both mother and father are 100% pure Iberico breed), we go one step further, selecting within the 100% Iberico breed, what we consider to be the best, the Lampiño Iberico family. Our pigs are different: hairless, small and fine limbed, selected on the basis of our founder's genetic studies. Juan Pedro Domecq Solís, reputed genetist, identified this type of 100% Iberico pig as the one with the ideal characters for producing the best ham.
- Exclusive: as our production is limited to 3,000 pigs, that are the result of a thorough selection process, in search of the best quality and the greatest consistency.
- Free roaming: our pigs are wild animals that live free roaming in vast extensions of the "dehesa", having an average of 5 acres per animal.
- Bellota fed: Throughout their lives, our pigs eat natural products, directly from the fields and acorn woods; not only in their last two months prior to slaughter, as the Spanish regulations require in order for the pigs to be considered as Acorn fed Iberico Pigs ("Cerdo Ibérico de Bellota"). Our "Montanera" (Acorn feeding season) extends for nearly four months, from October to January, but as our pigs are set free when they are very young, they also benefit from the last acorns of the previous acorn feeding season.
- Nearly two years old- Our pigs are slaughtered with an average age of 21 months. We have a one to one selection process: on top of the purity of the breed, we control the development of each animal so that it is only sacrificed once it reaches what we consider to be the perfect weight (average 165 kg.) and age to obtain the ideal fat infiltration for the hams (being an average of 21 month, which differs greatly from the Iberico cross breeds usually sacrificed after approx. 12 months).